Focus Lab is a departmental research laboratory of the University of Turin. It is led by Dr. Franco Cauda and is composed of teachers, postdoctoral students, PhD candidates and undergraduate students with skill and expertise ranging from Psychology and Medicine to Physics. Focus Lab’s research is mainly directed to study pathoconnectomics, resting state brain connectivity, experimental and chronic pain, and the statistical features of cerebral signal. These topics are addressed by means of functional neuroimaging techniques, especially by employing and developing methodologies for analysing brain connectivity, cerebral signal, connectomics, pattern recognition, and voxel-based meta-analyses.
Focus Lab is also part of the Neuroscience Institute of Turin (NIT), an interdepartmental centre of the University of Turin composed of several sections, each of which devoted to a research field. Dr. Cauda is also Coordinator of the Operative Committee of the Brain Imaging Centre of the San Giovanni Battista Hospital, a recently established facility that include researchers with skill in different disciplines, ranging from neurophysiology to anatomy, computational biostatistics, neural complex systems, and cognitive neuroscience.
Focus Lab is also connected to the GCS-fMRI, a research centre funded partly by University and partly by private associations that can rely on the neuroimaging facilities of the Koelliker Hospital, to which many Focus Lab’s members are affiliated.
Our research projects have attracted funding from various institutions and foundations and led to a number of scientific publications. Our research projects and training activities for members of the fMRI research team are made possible thanks to our partnerships with national and international clinics and research centers. Our international partners include:
- Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Laboratory, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- The Research Imaging Institute (RII) at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (TX), USA.
- Maastricht Brain Imaging Center, Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
- Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Center for Sleep and Consciousness, Madison, USA
- 2014- BrainMap Organization, University of Texas, San Antonio, USA
- 2014- Cognitive Brain Mapping Group & Neuroscience Institute. Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, USA
- 2012- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
- 2011- School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, UK
- 2009-2012 University of Birmingham and BSMHFT, Birmingham and Institute of Neurology and University College London, UK
Our national partners include:
- Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia; Dr. Luca Berdondini’s team (IIT-NetS3 laboratory)
- Università di Milano_Bicocca; Manuela Berlingheri’s Lab (M3-Lab)
- Università di Brescia; Barbara Borroni’s Lab
- Università di Torino, Neuroscience Institute of Turin; Alessandro Vercelli’s Lab
- Università di Torino, Neuroscience Institute of Turin; Ferdinando Di Cunto’s Lab